Krita: Animation Tools Feedback Wanted!
Hey sakuga fans. (Hopefully this post isn't against any sakugabooru rules.) I’m Emmet. For a couple of years now I’ve been involved to varying degrees in the development of Krita and I’m posting today to let everybody know that we’ve just started working on a new project for Krita in 2020 to bring our animation tools to the next level.

**What is Krita?**

For the uninitiated, Krita is a free, open source and community-driven tool for digital painting, illustration, animation and more. It’s part of an open software community called KDE and developed by the independent and non-profit Krita Foundation--an international team of professional and volunteer artists and developers, working together to make a digital art tool that belongs to everybody.

That all adds up to Krita being a tool for artists everywhere and a platform for creativity without the technical boundaries, socioeconomic hurdles, or forced subscription models of other creative software. In a sense, Krita belongs to the digital art community and is ours to use, to learn with, to work with, to modify and to develop together--now and forever!

We’re very proud of what Krita is as a quality art tool as well as the ideals that it represents, so I hope you’ll give it a try if you haven’t.

**What is “Animation Next”?**

Since the release of version 3.0, Krita has developed into a potent tool for traditional animation. While a solid groundwork has been laid, the next step for Krita should be to focus on addressing remaining issues and making necessary improvements to facilitate the animation workflow for learners, hobbyists and industry professionals alike.

That’s what this project is about—*doing the remaining research, development and documentation needed to make sure that Krita is on the path to meeting the wants and needs of animators of all levels.*

You can read more about the project, as well as follow our progress over on our public phabricator task. (https://phabricator.kde.org/T12769)

**What can we do to help?**

One of the things that makes Krita different is our open development model. Our next steps are discussed, decided and developed in coordination with our community and, by extension, the digital art community at large. At any time, anybody can swing by to see what we’re working on and to contribute to the discussion about where Krita should go next. It's what makes Krita, Krita!

And that’s where you come in! The first step in this project is to reach out to the community for feedback, critiques and guidance that will help us assess the strengths and weaknesses of our current animation toolset and plan the future improvements and features that animators want and need. Do you use Krita for animation and have ideas for how it could be better? Do you *not* use Krita for animation because you feel it’s missing specific functionality? Either way, we would love to hear from members of the sakuga community!

If you're interested, please consider filling out this relatively short survey (https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfJ-cnxZy6mgbOBSOPWTQKEGx22SMKqmxC5sJGor-G1HFNT4w/viewform?usp=sf_link) and let us know what you think about animating with Krita. Also, if you have any other comments or questions about animating with Krita just let me know in this thread, or stop by for a chat on #krita on freenode IRC.

As always, user support and feedback are a crucial part of what Krita is and what it will be in the future. So, Thank you!