What are your favorite sakuga/animation books?
I've been digging deeper into trying to find more books that display the works by either series, movies, or particular animators from Japan. From keyframes to characters sheets and more. It's hard though to find books that balance all these things effectively. You get usually one thing more than the other.

That said, here are my top picks that I have in my collection:

1) Gainax Groundwork collection (FLCL & Gurren Lagann)
2) Telecom animation books (Lupin III part IV , part V, and additional part V)
3) Redline (production book and keyframe book)
4) Sunrise Art Works (Gundam & Cowboy Bebop)

Other worthy mentions is the Venture Bros Art Book, but that's not quite about animation as much as characters and writing stuff. I have plenty of books I mean to get, some of which are in my Amazon Japan cart to check out with right now.

I hope to add more to my collection little by little. Certainly with computers it's easy to simply copy via grabbing a clip and turning it into a mp4 clip to trace over. Still, there is something about having that collection of raw drawings that helps bridge the gap between an empty page and a fully animated work for anyone to enjoy.

So what are your favorite sakuga/animation books?
FromDetroit said:
I've been digging deeper into trying to find more books that display the works by either series, movies, or particular animators from Japan. From keyframes to characters sheets and more. It's hard though to find books that balance all these things effectively. You get usually one thing more than the other.

That said, here are my top picks that I have in my collection:

1) Gainax Groundwork collection (FLCL & Gurren Lagann)
2) Telecom animation books (Lupin III part IV , part V, and additional part V)
3) Redline (production book and keyframe book)
4) Sunrise Art Works (Gundam & Cowboy Bebop)

Other worthy mentions is the Venture Bros Art Book, but that's not quite about animation as much as characters and writing stuff. I have plenty of books I mean to get, some of which are in my Amazon Japan cart to check out with right now.

I hope to add more to my collection little by little. Certainly with computers it's easy to simply copy via grabbing a clip and turning it into a mp4 clip to trace over. Still, there is something about having that collection of raw drawings that helps bridge the gap between an empty page and a fully animated work for anyone to enjoy.

So what are your favorite sakuga/animation books?
Eric Goldberg's Animation Crash Course, Frank and Ollie's The Illusion of Life, and of course, Richard Williams' Animator's Survival Kit.
I'd say my 2 favorites are my Ghibli Layout book and the genga for the Animator Expo Short 20min Walk from Nishi-Ogikubo Station.
This is my list:

FLCL Groundworks
Akira Animation Archives
Ghost In The Shell Genga Collection
Methods – Patlabor 2 The Movie Layout Boards
End of Evangelion Groundworks Vol. 1 & 2

Here is an article on the topic:
http://www.pelleas.net/aniTOP/index.php/genga_books

It's a bit old but might still be useful

I also use this blog:
http://halcyonrealms.com/

It's for artbooks in general, but there are quite a few about animation as well.
I only have one so far but if anything were to happen to it...yeah😅.

It's Animation Key Frame Arts of Yoshihiko Umakoshi, Vol. 1. I'd like to get volume 2 in the future.